Study in Canada


Going to School in Canada

The general rule is that if you are a foreign national, you need to obtain a Student Visa in order to study in Canada. The most commonly noted exception to the rule is attendance to a school program that is 6 months or shorter, in which case it is not necessary for you to obtain a Student Visa. You may enter with your passport, or apply for a Visitor’s Visa, if Canada requires a visa from your country of citizenship.

You need to fulfill the following requirements to come to Canada as a student:

  • Receive a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution;

This means, that you need to start by selecting a university program, grad school, or language school, and seeing if you meet their requirements for admission.

  • Proof that you are able to pay for your living expenses, school, and tuition, for the duration of your stay in Canada;
  • You must pass a meical examination, if requested;
  • You must not have a criminal record;
  • Complete the required forms and applications for a Student Visa, to accompany the above materials.

Important things to note for those wishing to come to Canada as a student:

Be sure that the school you have selected is recognized by the educational board of the province in which it is situated. If it is not, the years of education you receive in Canada will not contribute any merits towards your application if you later decide to apply for Permanent Residency.

If your goal is to stay in Canada after you complete your education, you should investigate the opportunities available in your field at the beginning, and consider your chances of obtaining a job when you are selecting your subject of study.

School selection and the professional help you receive while preparing your Visa application is a very important part of planning for your future and preventing legal roadblocks.